[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 18:11:09 EDT 2016

This email is long overdue - over two months, actually.
But - how does one sum up a wonderful jazz festival in a few words?
Last May, I attended the Keswick, UK, jazz festival.  What a wonderful
event!
For me, , the culmination of the festival was "Reeds United," featuring
George Huxley and John Maddocs, sadly not very well known outside the UK,
and perhaps even in the UK, as both are, so to speak, "territory
musicians."  In fact, I went to Keswick very much because George Huxley was
to play there, which should not surprise anybody so read the Bude 1994
report in the "Mississippi Rag," sadly defunct.  There were other great
musicians, some well know, some - less so.
I shall not dwell on the excellence of Jeff Barnhart or Roy Williams - too
well known on all sides of the pond, or of Keith Nichols, Enrico Tomasso
and Matthias Sauffert, who are well know and deserve being even more
famous.  If I tried to do that, this email would be much too long.
Instead, I'll concentrate on the less well known (and deserving wider
recognition) musicians, especially the young ones.
And there was listmate Ken Mathieson's Classic Jazz Orchestra, which,
despite the rather meagre audience at the main theatre, gave a rousing
performance.  Unfortunately, Ken was in great hurry to vacate the stage for
the next band, and the theatre didn't make it easy to approach the
musicians, so I missed speaking to him.
Some other favourites definitely stood up to expectations - Frank Booker
(reeds), Annie Hawkins (bass), John Hallam, John Penn (piano) - too may to
mention.
Even though I undertook not to speak of Enrico Tomasso, I must say that I
was surprised to see him in a Bixian mood.  One of his bands at the
festival was The Riverboat Shufflers, featuring a bass saxophone.  The
inclusion of such numbers as "Louise" strengthened the "Bixian" impression.
And then there were the young musicians and bands.
Have you ever heard of Ewan Bleach?  If not, you better!  A wonderful
London clarinet and saxophone player, whom I first encountered at the Jeff
Barnhart's  show "Wild Nights in Harlem."  I was so impressed that I went
to hear his and the young trumpeter Pete Horsfall's group Basin Street
Brawlers at the local Methodist church.  I was planning to hear another
band, too, but I was so impressed that I stayed for two sets (as did a
couple to whom I recommended that band).  wonderful musicians, who had been
at it for a while now.
And there was Lizzie Exall's Old Hat Jazz Band.  The lady drummer-leader
and a good part of the other members looked in their twnties, swung like
hell and performed with real feeling.  They featured quite a few original
compositions - all titled "Stomp," Blues" or "Strut," and sounding like the
"good old unes."  So what if Ms. Exall has not yet learnt what stage
presence was?  If she persists - and the way she plays, she must - she will
learn.  In the meantime, she and her band provide excellent music, which is
all that matters.
And one should not forget Baby Jools, a young traditional drummer whose
band "The Jazzoholics," featuring Mike Owen on trombone and John Maddocks
on reeds was absolutely fabulous!  Not that the other members were
slouches, either.
One of the good thing about jazz festivals is the surprises: One day, after
failing to gain admission to Paul Munnery's show at the Conservative club,
I was on my way to another venue, when i heard some good noises emanating
from the Pack Horse pub.  So, instead of going where I meant to go, I went
in and heard an excellent performance by Malcolm Hoggarth, John Higham and
Friends.  I cannot remember any other band doing the old Harry Roy classic
"She Had to Go and Lose It at the Astor."  A very enjoyable performance.
All said, I still attended more performances featuring George Huxley than
any other musician, and certainly did not regret it!  The only drawback was
the electric piano.
Unfortunately, this year's festival might be the last, due to changes in
management of the Theathre on the Lake.  If it indeed is, then I have been
extremely lucky to have made it!
Unfortunately, this year's Keswick Jazz Festival may be the last, because
of changes in management of the Theatre on the Lake.