[Dixielandjazz] gigs

Paul Kurtz Jr phktrumpet at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 15:29:20 EDT 2016

Jim, I do honestly apply the “as long as I get paid, I’m fine with whatever people want to do,” comments to playing. But, maybe I apply them in a little different manner.

If I’m getting paid for playing, I hold myself to a high standard of effort, attention, work,and make sure I do an excellent job. Now, in fairness, I apply that also to my volunteer efforts, too. The difference is, if it’s a volunteer effort and people don’t want to listen, they won’t see me again if I have anything to say about it. But, if they’re paying me to do a professional job, I’ll show up tonight, tomorrow, the next day, and whatever.

Of course, there’s another aspect of this that I’ve talked about on DJML and on the TPIN (Trumpet Player’s International Network) to help people combat discouragement. I was playing a gig and listening to a man talk through the entire first half of the program. What shocked me was the fact that he came up during intermission, promptly talked about everything I’d played, told me about great trumpeters he’d seen playing the same music, and told me technically things I’d done that sounded good and like those players. I had no idea he was paying that kind of attention. As a blind person, I’ve had to have multiple tracks for my brain and my ears for years, but I wasn’t expecting this guy to have the same acuity. From then till now, I’ve remembered that and always played like everybody was listening fully. I’ll do that for the duration.
Paul Kurtz Jacksonville, FL