[Dixielandjazz] early Dick Gibson jazz party video

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Sat Jan 30 17:36:18 UTC 2016

To: DJML
From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Here's link to a one hour video of an early Dick Gibson Colorado Jazz Party. It was so interesting, I sent out to my Musicians and Jazzfans list.  Many of you, likely, are already subscribed to " Jazz on the Tube," so if you've seen it already, move along.  If not, I hope you'll sample it.,  I've included some personal comments about my experience at some of the later jazz parties, then held in downtown Denver hotel over Labor Day weekend.
				----------------------
: early Dick Gibson jazz party video

To:  Musicians and Jazzfans list
From:  Norman Vickers

For many on this list, my message may be redundant.  If you're already subscribed and have listened to the video -- about an hour--then move on to something else.

If you missed it, fascinating story, then it's worth a listen.  It's a video of an early Dick Gibson jazz party.  You get to see many of the musicians who are no longer with us.
Dick grew up in Mobile, AL, played football for U. AL, moved to NYC to be a writer for Town & Country Magazine.  Then got into finance.  During  the NYC period, he was always involved  with jazz in some way.  Named and managed "World's Greatest Jazz Band."  Then business took him to Colorado and, missing the NYC jazz scene, invented the jazz party.  It's been dubbed "The Superbowl of Jazz Parties."

I was privileged to attend from '85 until he closed it down after 30 years in early 90s.
During those years, he had 60 outstanding musicians  and downtown Denver hotel held 600 in the ballroom.  Over the Labor Day weekend, Sat-Monday,  the party was fully subscribed and there were over 30 hours of great music.  Since hotel was almost empty, except for the Jazz Party musicians and guests, there was jazz conversation in the dining rooms, tennis courts and around the swimming pool.

Dick and wife Maddie were very kind to me, personally.  Dick gave me conversation time and related to me the mechanics of making the jazz party work.  Some of his boyhood friends from Mobile also attended the events. And, the guest list was a "Who's Who" of jazz,  as well.

I'd be interested to hear comments from the list, especially those who attended.
( I took photos each year I attended.  Some photos will soon be added to the Jazz Room at the downtown library.  Also, large collection of photos is available at University of West Florida Historic Trust -- formerly Pens. Historical Society-- in downtown Pensacola..

Enough of this jazz chatter--just enjoy the video!

Norman

From: jazztv at aweber.com [mailto:jazztv at aweber.com] On Behalf Of Jazz on the Tube

The best jazz party ever?

That's a tough one to call, but
this deserves a nomination.

Phil Woods, Clark Terry, Benny Carter,
Joe Venuti, Rolland Hanna, Larry Ridley, Zoot Sims, Eubie Blake, Dick Hyman, Kai Winding and many more...

Thanks to Jim Eigo for this one.

Video:

http://www.jazzonthetube.com/page/29443.html

- Lester Perkins