[Dixielandjazz] Fw: Dixieland School Assemblys? Part III

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Wed Jan 27 18:28:45 UTC 2016

Jim has some very good ideas below.

There are several members of DJML who have given school assemblies.

I've done several over the years.

Here are a couple ideas.

1. Contact the drama teacher or whomever would be appropriate to see if
there are any students who are dancers. You can talk a little about Jazz
being the dance music of its day. Get the students to Swing dance,
Charleston, whatever type of dance they can do from the 20s and 30s. Having
students be involved always creates interest with the rest of the kids.

2. To start, play one song. Then talk about the various roles of the
instruments in a jazz band.

For instance, start with the trumpet playing the melody. Then add the
clarinet, then trombone. Then piano, banjo, bass and finally drums.

Or start with drums and work the other way.

Remember, now days with 10 second commercials, kids multiple tasking, etc,
it is harder to hold their attention. Do one hour, don't dwell or make long
drawn out explanations of whatever you are talking about.

You can talk a little how the original Jazz bands were not called Jaz. They
were dance bands.

Meanwhile piano players were playing Ragtime in bars. I don't think I'd
refer to whore houses in a school assembly. If you have a good piano player
in the band that can demo a little Ragtime, tell the kids that Ragtime was
originally called Ragged time and have the pianist demo this fact by playing
a little bit of a Rag with no syncopation, then play it again with the
syncopation.

For dances, the bands would get on horse drawn wagons and go around town
playing to advertise the dance that night.

Some times they would pull up two wagons and have a battle of the bands.

Eventually the bands added piano players.

This all was in New Orleans. Eventually the musicians started going to
Chicago. Then prohibition came in and the Jazz bands had to play in
speakeasy's.

Tell em how the first Jaz recording was made by the Original Dixieland Jass
band. Jass was changed to jazz because people would cross out the J on the
posters.

Other bands were asked to be the first to record but they declined because
they felt that if their music was on a record, other musicians would steal
their "licks."

You can tell them how in the late 20s and early 30s, musicians started
writing arrangements for bigger bands. Thus you could have a bigger band, 16
or 17 pieces and by playing a written arrangement, they didn't get in each
others way.

You can demo the different influences that went into Jaz. Marches, Hymns,
Latin, Country, etc.

Of course some of what I am saying is simplistic, history of Jazz in a shoe
box. But you can tailor it to your audience.

HTH

-Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com