[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland School Assemblys? Part III

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Wed Jan 27 16:21:11 UTC 2016

Larry Zaidan wrote:

... [I] have been contacted by a school to play for a Mardi Gras assembly
> for 1 hour, or 1 1/2 hours.  The band would be the main focus of attention,
> not background music. ...
>
> Any ideas on presentation?

I see a great opportunity to involve students in the music. If this is a high school, you might speak with the band director to see if they have any jazz or improvisation going on in their music program. If so, and if the students are good at improvisation, you could have one or two of them "sit in" on a tune or two. This would likely involve additional time to audition these students to see how they would do -- after all, they don't want to fall flat on their face in front of their friends, and you don't want them to, either -- but if there are a couple who can improvise in a trad style (not just using blues scales to noodle over modern jazz chords), we might win some new converts to OKOM.

I also see that on your website [ http://coppelia-enterprises.com/crescent_city_ramblers.html ] there's a photo of the "Crescent City Ramblers" wearing straw hats and striped vests. If this is your standard uniform, and if you're playing for elementary school students, this will probably go over well. If you're playing for middle school, junior high or high school students, however, I fear that they'll take one look at this "uniform" and immediately classify the whole thing as "corny" and not worth their time or their attention. For middle school, junior high or high school I'd suggest that the band's "uniform" be dress slacks (all the same color), a white or colored dress shirt, and a necktie, and perhaps a sport coat.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers Vintage Jazz Band
Youth Activities Coordinator, South Bay Traditional Jazz Society