[Dixielandjazz] Lyricist for 1920 "Whispering"

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Thu Jan 14 20:50:05 UTC 2016

Bruce Strangeland wrote:
>Does anyone know who wrote the lyrics for the 1920 tune "Whispering".

This is one Bill Haesler and I researched for the Stomp Off index.

Schonberger & Schonberger: The original publication and copyright was
in 1920, published by Sherman, Clay in San Francisco (your first link
below).  Music John, lyrics Malvin.

Schonberger, Coburn & Rose:  In 1944, the song was used in the film
"Greenwich Village," and, as often is the case, the lyrics were
massaged to suit the film by Coburn & Rose.  That version was
published by Miller Music and is the one you'll find in your second
link.  What's confusing is that the later edition still says
"copyright 1920," but it also says "revised edition," and you know it
came in or after 1944 because it touts that film.  But a lot of
Malvin's lyrics survived, so it's a bit unfair that his name was
dropped from the revised edition.

--
      Dick Baker
  djml at dickbaker.org