[Dixielandjazz] Basin Street Six - "Margie" question

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Fri Jan 8 21:48:20 UTC 2016

Hi, Fuzzy—

The main sources I have about Fountain and Girard’s relationship are (1) reliable hearsay at the time and (2) my interview with Pete for a Down Beat article (11/23/61). The former was the widely circulated story that both enjoyed the spotlight with the Six, out-clowning each other with onstage hijinks (the funny hats thing). Plus, Pete wasn’t fond of George’s singing. Lou Dillon, my drum teacher at the time, was on B. Street leading the pit band at the Sho’Bar, and he was a concrete source with no axe to grind. He commented that he thought Pete was a lot funnier than George. Others talked about the tension, not maliciously but in the course of chatter over coffee, beer, etc. In the interview for DB, I asked Pete why he went to a quartet format (Pete Fountain and His Three Coins) after he left the Six and opened at the Famous Door. It didn’t get in the article, but he said something like “Trumpeters! They drive me crazy! And who could I get that could play the style? Thomas Jefferson is working….etc.” I took this as coded confirmation of his differences with Girard but didn’t pursue it. It wasn’t my gig to stir that pot.

I’ve thumbed through the autobio but didn’t read it closely. I’m not surprised that Pete spoke well of George. Old feuds often fade as time passes. In 1972 there was no gain to be had from reviewing the past. Pete was, after all, famous and in a secure position, much loved as an artist and cultural icon. And George, after all, was a fine player who died of cancer at a young age. Pete did the right thing by praising George’s clear gifts.

Charlie

P.S.—Pete, by the way, gave my brother a new clarinet when he saw the bad condition Don’s clarinet was in. In turn, after Don died I donated it to a N.O. musician who lost his horns in Katrina.