[Dixielandjazz] Basin Street Six - "Margie" question

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jan 7 22:14:27 UTC 2016

Fuzzy wrote:
> Marek's post "Dukes of Dixieland with Pete Fountain" spawned a desire in me to go back and listen to the Basin Street Six.  As I queued up "Margie" - I had that same feeling I get every time I hear the recording - that Pete's tone is somehow different - especially at the beginning.  It could be totally in my head, but I hear it every time I listen to the tune.
>
> To me, it sounds like they're playing Margie in A, and they do it splendidly, but it is the abnormal tone at the beginning (to me at least) that makes me wonder if the CD was recorded at a different speed than the LP/78 - whichever it was originally released on.  I don't own the LP/78, so I can't compare it.  Do any of you have any thoughts or input to offer?
>
> Here's a YouTube link to hear the CD version: https://youtu.be/Qd1zSi9ZBz4

Dear Fuzzy,
Sadly, your link returned the now ubiquitous YouTube message "This video is not availabble. Sorry about that."
The fun police have struck again! Stifling jazz research.
Based on the information provided by Youtube, that "Margie" is from the GHB BCD-103, 'The Complete Circle Recordings',
recorded on 28 August and 30 November 1950, eight of which were originally released on the rare 10" Circle LP  JL403.

1. Margie
2. Farewell Blues
3. That's a Plenty #1
4. That's a Plenty #2
5. Up a Lazy River
6. Jazz Me Blues
7. I'm Going Home
8. High Society
9. South Rampart Street Parade
10. Mahogany Hall Stomp
11. World's Waiting For the Sunrise
12. Waiting For the Robert E. Lee

We older collectors are more familiar with the BS6 version of "Margie" recorded on 19 September 1951 and released on 10" LP Mercury MG 25111.
Our band's clarinet player, Jack Wiard (a DJML lurker) has a complete collection of Pete Fountain recodings and may be able to check his library and answer your question.
Cheers,
Bill.