[Dixielandjazz] Basin Street Six - "Margie" question

Fuzzy fuzzymail at fuzzyjazz.com
Thu Jan 7 18:50:36 UTC 2016

Marek's post "Dukes of Dixieland with Pete Fountain" spawned a desire in me
to go back and listen to the Basin Street Six.  As I queued up "Margie" - I
had that same feeling I get every time I hear the recording - that Pete's
tone is somehow different - especially at the beginning.  It could be
totally in my head, but I hear it every time I listen to the tune.

To me, it sounds like they're playing Margie in A, and they do it
splendidly, but it is the abnormal tone at the beginning (to me at least)
that makes me wonder if the CD was recorded at a different speed than the
LP/78 - whichever it was originally released on.  I don't own the LP/78, so
I can't compare it.  Do any of you have any thoughts or input to offer?

Here's a YouTube link to hear the CD version: https://youtu.be/Qd1zSi9ZBz4

Thanks!
Fuzzy