[Dixielandjazz] John Chilton

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Feb 26 00:27:27 UTC 2016

Steve Voce wrote:
> My dear friend for more than 60 years, author and trumpeter John Chilton, died at 5.30 am today.
> He had suffered from Parkinson's disease for many years.

Dear Steve,
Sad news indeed.
I corresponded with John back in the 70s when he ran the Bloomsbury Bookshop in Great Ormond Road, London.
And finally got to know each other over a long afternoon lunch when he came to Australia with George Melly.
From then on we always met for lunch when we were in London or John was in Sydney.
He was a wonderful man and a talented writer and musician.
Meticulous in everything he did.
Unfortunately, we missed him on our last trip to London as he was unwell.
If for nothing else, John Chilton will be remembered, worldwide, for his definitive book, 'Who's Who Of Jazz. Storyville To Swing Street'.
Kind regards,
Bill.