[Dixielandjazz] Guinness

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Fri Dec 30 12:58:22 EST 2016

i was at the festival that year. Spike was to be accompanied by John
Williams (p), Bill Crow (b) and Pete (an English drummer chosen when
Frank Isola couldn't come). Bad weather meant Spike missed the first
night, which was played just by the trio. Spike joined them for the
second night. The musicians were kind enough to let me make video
recordings of each complete concert, from my seat on the front row of
the theatre. I still play the tapes regularly. Sadly, when we all flew
back to London together, Spike left his car unlocked when he dropped
Bill at his hotel and in those couple of minutes his tenor (which he'd
prized since 1948) and all the cds he had for sale, were amongst the
things stolen. Spike had little in the way of funds, so it was a huge blow.
Steve Voce