[Dixielandjazz] Graham Tayar RIP

Tony Davis tony at tony-davis.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 15:33:58 EDT 2016

My thanks to Robert Calder for bringing to my attention the sad news of
Graham's death, and the Guardian obituary which I unaccountably failed
to spot at the time.

Graham and I were - roughly - contemporaries at King Edward's School,
Birmingham, though he was a few years ahead of me.  I remember meeting
him once in a pub in Birmingham, but we didn't get to know each other
until 2002, when we met at the funeral of pianist Ray Foxley (another
Old Edwardian).  A couple of years later he asked me to play trumpet at
a dinner for the Old Edwardians' Association at a club in Piccadilly.
Graham's idea was to put together a band made up entirely of Old
Edwardians, and he almost succeeded; I think only the bass player was an
"import".  Graham himself was on piano, of course.

A lovely man indeed, and as his son says, a "creative force".

Tony Davis