[Dixielandjazz] Thanks for the mention of Vickers and the Jazz Room at downtown Pensacola Public Library

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Wed Aug 24 17:15:55 EDT 2016

Responding to Charlie Suhor and Marek Boym,  Norman Vickers writes:

Hey Charlie and Marek-thanks for the accolades.  I was pleased to get the
story and the video for publicity about Jazz Pensacola's contributions to
the  jazz room at  downtown Pensacola's new public library .  Our library
director has searched and found that the US has only one other public
library which has a dedicated jazz room.

( Some have rooms dedicated to music but apparently one other-in Washington
state-has room dedicated exclusively to jazz)  We started this when LPs were
transitioning to CDs.  Now the jazz books, CDs and DVDs are valued at
$19,000.

And we have some play-along books and recordings for students of all ages to
improve their jazz skills.

On  Sunday  November 13, Jazz Pensacola has trombonist David Sager who is
the curator for the Library of Congress' Jukebox Project coming.  He will
give a free talk at our downtown public library on that day.  We'll have
local jazz group-Dixieland Dandies-play some early jazz tunes.  Sager will
sit in and then give his talk about the Jukebox Project which is collecting
recordings-not only jazz but other music, speeches, poetry-in the public
domain, now up to about 1925. ( For more details, search Library of
Congress, Jukebox Project)

Then the following Monday, Nov. 14, Sager will bring some  musical
colleagues from New Orleans for a ticketed event at downtown Pensacola's
Seville Quarter for " An Evening of New Orleans Music."  This coincides with
our Annual Janet Knowles Memorial Jazz Gumbo event.

Additional information may be found at Jazz Pensacola's website
www.jazzpensacola.com   The story from Pensacola News Journal and video is
found on the home page at the very bottom of the page.

Thanks all!

Norman Vickers

www.jazzpensacola.com

Volunteer Executive Director, Emeritus