[Dixielandjazz] "NextgenerationofOKOM" and bored?

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Apr 29 06:21:57 EDT 2016

Dave wrote:

 > There is an energy in this that seems to be hitting the young audience
quite well - it is something to experience!

It's called rhythm, Dave!  I work in my studio with a lot of "today's" music
& it is more about great rhythms than it is about melody lines, good chord
changes, etc.  Everything is beat orientated.

Personally, I find improvising on few (or no) chord changes is more
exibitionistic (see what I can do!) than musical, and I get bored quickly.

Rhythm is exciting, but it's the blend of the rhythm, melody line, and great
chords that creates OKOM.