[Dixielandjazz] A taste of what a lot of the "Next generationofOKOM" will sound like!

Andrew Homzy andrew.homzy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 21:54:55 EDT 2016

The New Basics Brass Band?

It’s party music. Nothing wrong with that - but it is not art.

Most of what you’ll hear in NOLA is party music - Dr. John personifies that.

Allen Toussaint is a step above - and he became more artistic when Katrina forced him out. The same with Henry Butler.

As far as the brass bands: Endless riffs on a Bb7th chord over the 3-2 clavé. The louder, higher & faster you play, the more the drunks & stoners like it.

However, two brass bands caught my attention:

The one lead by trumpeter Leroy Jones which has a delicate charm to it and mainly plays the traditional repertoire - this track comes from their album. The live videos are less satisfying. Not great art, but very musical -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eovfip5Pyt4

The New Orleans NightCrawlers approaches art through it’s interesting arrangements - written by pianist Tom McDermott who also charted the recent Dukes of Dixieland pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3unbYfpWzA

This piece is dedicated to Henry Butler. While just a blues, the rhythmic line of the tuba & the interplay makes me dizzy. Tom McDermott plays the piano solo - this is the most jazzy artistic brass band recording I’ve ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_6UlDY1AA4

Cheers,

Andrew