[Dixielandjazz] Martin Taylor

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 25 17:47:35 EDT 2016

Martin Taylor has long been recognised as a master, working not least with Stephane the Violinist.
He has also presided over a Django ensemble, with Jack Emblow on accordion and Dave O'Higgins, tuneful and melodious tenor saxophonist, and a few smiles on the way to the bank (I regret I forget the name of the bassist and second guitarist, but hope someone else will supply same) not from any sell-out but the use of one of their recordings to advertise a French car, the ads in which Nicole had not expected to see Papa but was reassured Maman would hear nothing of her liaison because in being seen by Papa she was a witness to his liaison.

I remember Dave O'Higgins at  Glasgow Jazz Festival on an open stage during a week-long heatwave playing what was indeed not strictly OKOM but was notable for the unfortunate dancers engaged to prance as he played, since the dancing was so crude beside what the then still very young tenor player and his ensemble were doing.  There are CDs and naughty people taped broadcasts of this ensemble...

I also remember Martin Taylor turning up and being let in by a back door for a gig on which Gary Burton's quintet sampled local instruments while wearing casual clothes, over a period during which their own stuff was being delivered late to the airport. Burton had one of Martin's sometime masterclass pupils in the band, and when I think it was Burton hailed Martin from the stage he suggested his teenaged guitarist might feel intimidated.

"I feel intimidated!" Martin shouted back.

His weirdest record is a trawl through a huge collection of guitars bequeathed to posterity by a North American gent already by then ascended to where  harps are more the norm. Very strange, some of these variations played by guitar-makers.
And of course Martin has also been a member of the Great Guitars ensemble beside Herb Ellis ...

In case anybody didn't know

Robert R. Calder