[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz!

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 12:10:21 EDT 2016

Due to work overload I neglected to mention those two events.  Better late
then never.
On 29 March, some friends and I went to hear the British guitar wiz Martin
Taylor at the Givatayim Theatre (Givatayim is a town adjacent to Tel-Aviv).
Martin Taylor certainly is one of the best guitarists in the world today,
and has been for a great many years, in the class of Howard Alden, Bucky
Pizzarelli, Frank Vignola - you name them.
As expected by those of us who knew him and heard him upon his previous
visit here 25 years ago (of whom I was one), he gave an outstanding
performance, first solo - a mix of his own compositions and standards, then
with that wonderful Israeli group Swing de Gitanes.
The concert started with the Israeli group performing two originals, than
Martin Taylor took the stage and kept the audience spellbound.  For the
second part he was joined by Swing de Gitanes, and together they performed
some of the Quintet of the Hot Club de France standards, to a tumultuous -
well deserved ovation.

Two days later, I joined some friends for a SdG performance with the
trumpeter Eli Preminger in Tel-Mond, a town not far from Tel-Aviv (less
than half an hour drive from where I live).  The show, mainly standards,
was the last in a series organized by the SdG bassist Oren Sagy.  We
enjoyed it a lot!
Cheers