[Dixielandjazz] Two "astonishingly clear" Armstrong tracks

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Thu Apr 14 14:12:50 EDT 2016

The current issue of N.O.’s online Offbeat mag had the info and link below. I’m not in discussion of the 78s vs. LPs vs. CDs vs. YouTube sound differences. Just grateful to hear whatever good music comes through a speaker at any given time—staying in the moment--and pleased that the later formats sometimes allow me to hear things that I couldn’t on my 78s, esp. rhythm section work. The lineup of the “Knee Drops" side, found elsewhere, is:

Armstrong, Louis (Trumpet, Vocal)
Robinson, Fred (Trombone)
Strong, Jimmy (Clarinet, Tenor Saxophone)
Hines, Earl (Piano)
Carr, Mancy (Banjo)
Singleton, Zutty (Drums)

I recognized Louis, Hines, and Zutty. Didn’t know the others, though Strong on cl. and tenor sax was impressive. Both tracks show again that Louis was faaaar ahead of his time, and Hines not far behind.

Charlie

An astonishingly clear recording of Louis Armstrong & His Orchestra performing “Ain’t Misbehavin'” has surfaced on YouTube. According to the video’s description, the track comes from a metal “mother record” that New York City’s Okeh Records sent to Germany’s Odeon Records for their pressings.

Another similar recording of Louis Armstrong and His Hot Five performing “Knee Drops” in Chicago in 1928 was also posted a few days later. Evidently, both of these new versions were transferred to a digital format by sound engineer Nick Dellow.

Considering the poor quality of most early jazz records, these tracks are a rare treat for any fan of the pioneering New Orleans trumpet master.

http://www.offbeat.com/news/crystal-clear-louis-armstrong-recording-surfaces/?utm_source=WB+04+14+16&utm_campaign=WB+04+14+16&utm_medium=email <http://www.offbeat.com/news/crystal-clear-louis-armstrong-recording-surfaces/?utm_source=WB+04+14+16&utm_campaign=WB+04+14+16&utm_medium=email>