[Dixielandjazz] Original Tuxedo Jazz Band video

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Apr 5 15:49:17 EDT 2016

Thanks, Jim. This is indeed a lovely set. Many of the players were post-foundational jazzers but strongly in the N.O. tradition. The front line work is so fine. The youngest was trumpeter Jack Willis, one of the first to adapt to the traditional style after having come up and gain respect in the swing and bebop eras. Cornbread’s vocal in French was a treat. Elders Louis Barbarin and Jeanette Kimball were terrific. The rhythm section swung relaxedly in what Armstrong called “That good old New Orleans 4/4.” I especially like the way Papa French’s banjo blended in.. The revivalists so often put the banjo on mike where it twangs insistently in an unswinging manner. Lawrence Marerro and other older players had the skill to blend in (Lawrence actually had a banjo mute). Young banjoists Bill Huntington and way younger Amy Sharpe did, too. Again, thanks.

Charlie