[Dixielandjazz] Keep (it) Swinging

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Mon Sep 14 20:03:54 PDT 2015

Fellow seniors, reports of my report of your deaths are greatly exaggerated. I assumed that my British pen pal Alan Wheatley was dead only after an extensive search that came up empty. If anyone has knowledge of him, I’d love to contact him. An anecdote from the correspondence—he once wrote that it had been discovered that Bix was not dead but had been found playing with a 6-piece combo in Mexico City. The Blackstone Brothers at the N.O. Record Shop laughed it off, and I sent back a letter that began BIX IS DEAD. (In another sense, we all know that BIX LIVES.) Alan wrote back a “gotcha!” letter.

All of us who have written on this strand have beaten the odds. Life expectancy when we were born was probably the late 60s or so. Most guys our age are dead. To play the game of your current odds of staying alive, go to
http://gosset.wharton.upenn.edu/mortality/form.html <http://gosset.wharton.upenn.edu/mortality/form.html>

Charlie