[Dixielandjazz] Latin influences on early jazz

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Wed Oct 28 18:16:59 PDT 2015

Hi Charlie et al,

I've been enjoying this thread and would like to add my tuppenceworth as
we say in Scotland (that's two cents' worth for transatlantic
listmates). I'll start off by challenging Charlie's assertion that "the
tango is a very limited rhythmic background rhythm, lacking the energy
and thrust of syncopated jazz that's often superimposed in solos over
it." If Charlie means the simplified, repetitive pattern of the Tango as
played by Gringo musicians for Gringo dancers he's got a point. But hear
a good Argentinian rhythm section playing tango for skilled Argentinian
dancers and it has a subtle, pulsating and fluid feel, with passages
drifting in and out of double time and with dramatic rubatos and pauses
which the dancers respond to, all the while building to a driving
climax. As someone once observed of porteno tango "it's the vertical
expression of horizontal desire!" The same thing can be said of gringo
attempts to standardise and simplify samba, beguine, son, rumba etc.
Indeed the rhythm called rumba in the Anglo-Saxon world is closer to a
simplified bolero and a million miles away from authentic Cuban rumba in
which percussion patterns become radically dislodged from the downbeat.
Likewise in the Anglo-Saxon world the beguine rhythm is a misnomer and
is in fact truly a simplified bolero (as in When They Begin the
Beguine), whereas the Antillean beguine of Martinique and Guadelupe is
usually a lively mid- to up-tempo rhythm with percussion patterns
similar to bossa nova over a habanera bass pattern.

Given the non-existence of gramophone records in jazz's formative phase,
it's likely that incoming stylistic influences were delivered by
musicians for whom these styles were second nature. And just because
these styles became watered down to make them more suited to Anglo-Saxon
dance conventions, we shouldn't discount the impact of the real thing on
early jazz players. A case in point is the music of the Caribbean: New
Orleans was the most important port on the Gulf of Mexico and trade with
the Caribbean islands was colossally important, so the music of the
whole Caribbean must have have been familiar to the early jazz players.
If you're in doubt, check out the similarities between the music of the
New Orleans Creoles and the authentic beguines of Martinique (Stellio
and Ernest Leardee). The Cuban/Puerto Rican influence was felt very
early in NYC: Benny Waters told a musician friend of mine that when he
first went to New York in the mid 1920s, many of the young black
musicians went to regularly to hear the Puerto Rican bands in East
Harlem, whose trumpeters, in Benny's words, "played just like Dizzy
Gillespie; where do you think he got it from?" Als worth checking out is
Brasilian choro music, which roughly parallels the development of jazz
from ragtime through informal small group playing and a big band phase
and eventually spun off into Bossa Nova with parallels in the
Californian Cool School.

Re the influence of Scots-Irish music, much of this came through
bluegrass fiddle playing and had some influence on ragtime. However
another overlooked influence came from the drumming in Scottish
traditional dance music. I was a friend of the late great Jake Hanna,
who was very interested in the highly technical Scottish pipe band
drumming tradition. One night after hours at the Sacramento Jubilee,
Jake and I were in the company of Scots-born saxophonist, Jim Galloway.
Jake had asked me about the drumming in Scottish Country Dance bands and
when I was struggling to describe it, Jim suggested that he and I and
the bassist and pianist from Fat Sam's Band who were also present,
should play Jake a few selections. We did this and Jake listened
carefully. When we'd finished, Jake said that, as a youngster, he had
heard Zutty Singleton and other early New Orleans drummers (I'm nearly
sure he also heard Baby Dodds, but wouldn't swear to it) and that the
New Orleans style of jazz drumming had more to do with Scottish Country
Dance drumming than it had to do with Africa. I thought he was kidding,
but he was insistent that the drum patterns essentially contributed
great horizontal drive while the bass and piano were stressing the
vertical strong beats. In effect the drummer's role was essentially the
same and the techniques employed were very similar.

Interesting thread - thanks Charlie!

Ken Mathieson