[Dixielandjazz] Some more New Orleans Spanish

Bert mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 27 08:49:25 PDT 2015

Hello Christopher,
Actually I allready mentioned Spanish Shawl, but no problem.
Now you bring up the subject, I have the feeling, after have been listening to all Coleman's Hawkins work with Fletcher in historical order and comparing the dates to what other bands were doing at the time, that Hawk at that time was very impressed by Adrian Rollini. (And rightly so)However to my ears, he never came close to the ease and elegance of Rollini.
You are right, his playing is aggresive, but he uses too much tongue, so some notes do not really speak and the attack of the lines is a bit sloppy and unclear.  If you compare with the command Rollini allready had a few years earlier, he is no match on bass sax, to my ears.

The only recording of Hawk on bass sax that I really like, is Hop Off. The one version of 3 where he is playing bass, although his tenor is missed in the sax section.
I couldn't find it on YouTube, but it is probably somewhere, it is the first recorded version with Hawk. (1927?) Probably a Henderson outfit, recorded under a different name.
I can't look up the exact details, since I'm on tour for 5 weeks, and won't be home until December.
Kind regards,
Bert Brandsma