[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 15:03:58 PST 2015

On Thursday, a friend and I went to hear the New Orleans Function Jazz Band
in the lobby of the Tel-Aviv Cinemateque, where it played between sets of
the Tel-Aviv Jazz Festival (the only band which played anything akin to
jazz).  The place was mobbed, even if most people came for the Festival
concerts.
The band played standards, but did so with gusto and plenty of swing.  The
usual culprits were there   (Arnon de Bouton - trombone, Koby Solomon - clt,
Shimi Gilad - bjo, Yair Saltzman - dms, and a bassist whose name I cannot
recall at the moment), except for the trumpeter, Matan Gov Ari, whom I hac
never heard before.  Although not usually an OKOM player, he fit in with
the band, and even played some passable solos.  Since the place was open to
the square in front of the Cinemateque, lots of people were standing
outside, and some swing dancers danced to the band's sounds.  Everybody had
a good time.
Not sure that going to a free venue constitutes "supporting live jazz," but
I still feel that the show should be mentioned.  Unfortunately, most of my
jazz friends chose to listen to recorded music at a friend's house.
Cheers