[Dixielandjazz] FW: Allen Toussaint

Andy Ling Andy.Ling at s-a-m.com
Thu Nov 12 03:18:19 PST 2015

> This is a name I wasn't familiar with, but some of you on the list with more
> knowledge about New Orleans may know of him.  Pianist & singer Allen
> Toussaint played a concert here in Madrid on the night of 9 November with
> great acclaim, apparently, from the audience.  He shook hands & had photos
> taken with the public, then took a taxi to his hotel. He suffered a heart
> attack in the taxi, and later died in the hospital.

I spotted this a few days ago, very sad. He wasn't someone I was
that familiar with until a few months ago. When I was looking at
the song Singin' the Blues I came across his "The Bright Mississippi"
album. Most of it is on YouTube and well worth a listen.

An example..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldeTAV9rgq8

And the BBC report of his death..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34779468