[Dixielandjazz] More on Pixinguinha

harold zislin harold5 at optonline.net
Wed Nov 4 14:47:15 PST 2015

Pixinguinha didn't sing, but there are singers on some tracks. He played
tenor and flute and composed a lot of tunes that became standards in Brazil.
He recorded from the 20s until his death which was in the 70s (I think). I
have several cds all of which I acquired in the past 8 or 9 years. I think
there are some things on You Tube and Amazon mp3. The 20s stuff sounds the
closest to early jazz as we know it. The excellent Brazilian saxophonist
Paulo Maura recorded an album of Pixinguinha's tunes (titled  Pixnguinha )
in the  90s or early part of this century that is currently available on
Amazon in Mp3. Probably the cd is available also.