[Dixielandjazz] Strange Fruit

BOBOBANJOB at aol.com BOBOBANJOB at aol.com
Tue May 26 13:19:47 PDT 2015

Some background on Lewis Allen, the composer of "Strange Fruit."
He wrote both the words and music.
Another song, for which he wrote only the lyrics, was "The House I Live
In,"
with music by Earl Robinson. The latter song was featured in a 1945
short movie by Frank Sinatra.
Lewis Allen was a "pen name." His real name was Abel Meeropol, and he  was
an English Literature teacher at De Witt Clinton HS in The Bronx, NYC. I
was in his English class,
where he was very well-liked by the students, because of his relaxed
approach to teaching the Subject.
I never found out that he was a song writer until many years later. He was
also known for his courage in
adopting, along with his wife, the orphaned sons of Ethel & Julius
Rosenberg---when nobody wanted them!

Bob Sann, (bjo), (gtr), (vcl)
Clearwater, FL

--===============5911039782980968736==