[Dixielandjazz] Dee Rees interviewed - Bessie’ Reintroduces a Music Legend and Announces Dee Rees as a Major Director

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sat May 16 11:00:47 PDT 2015

Thanks for posting these reviews, Bob--two favorable, one not. I'l love to hear what you listmates think of the movie, if you get HBO. I don't but I but hope top see or buy it when it becomes more widely available.

I'd be especially interested in the musical backup they give to Bessie's and Rainey's vocals. Louis was superb on some of the recordings with Bessie, but a lot of the players had a decidedly choppy, ur-jazz conception. That's the way it was then, but it would pose an artistic problem when doing a 2015 movie.

Charlie