[Dixielandjazz] long hours for a gig

Joe jazzclarinet at cox.net
Tue May 12 18:49:31 PDT 2015

Until recently about 3 or 4 times a year we would play on Sunday for 10
hours.  A 3 hour brunch (10 am to 1 pm), a 3 hour jazz party at the same
hotel (1 to 4 pm), and then go to Scottsdale to play a 4 hour gig (5 to 9
pm). My drummer and bass player are in their 80's. When I played recently
with a bunch of college kids from ASU they said there was no way they could
(or would) play for 10 hours. I told them it would have been easier when I
was 20 rather than my age (77).  A few years ago we played a 9 hour gig and
we were pleased that we did not need to repeat any tunes. Two members of my
band do not read music so we use no charts.

Joe Hopkins

www.joehopkins.org