[Dixielandjazz] N.O

domitype . domitype at gmail.com
Mon May 11 03:00:34 PDT 2015

That sort of reminds me of an experience I had when I was travelling
through England about 30 years ago.

I was visiting Becky Stringer (the daughter of the late clarinetist John
Stringer and also a noted local rock bass player) in Liverpool and she
suggested that we go see the Merseysippi Jazz Band for their weekly show.
During their break I was introduced by Becky to the band as a jazz tuba
player from the States. They invited me to sit in for a song - the String
Bass player had a banged up old tuba he used for a occasional number - I
gave it a try and it seemed to be playable. They called "Chimes Blues" and
everything went well - however, the audience seem to be a bit shocked. I
didn't think I was doing anything unusual and they asked me to play another
song (forgot what that one was, but it also was good.)

It turned out that they had never heard a tuba being played "musically" for
a jazz song - just honking and blats that the Bass player was able to do!

I was invited to move to Liverpool and play as often as I wanted...  that
didn't happen, but it was a fun night!

Dave Richoux