[Dixielandjazz] Ice Cream-- background info needed.

Stan Brager sbrager at verizon.net
Thu May 7 12:58:20 PDT 2015

The Lewis 1944 recording of "Ice Cream" is outstanding without any doubt. I
features Lewis as the only soloist. But my personal favorite was the Lewis'
1953 recording with a larger band and no vocal. It was the time of extended
recordings and this one swings for 5 minutes and 45 seconds. Furthermore,
there is no vocal but there are more soloists:

Jim Robinson on trombone
Avery "Kid" Howard on trumpet
George Lewis on clarinet
Alton Purnell on piano
banjoist Lawrence Morrero with bassist Alcide "Slow Drag" Parageau.

To my mind, no one has done a better version of "Ice Cream."

The CD is "Hot Creole Jazz - 1953" on the DCC Jazz label.

Stan
Stan Brager
sbrager at verizon.net