[Dixielandjazz] Hugh Maskela Query

Paul Kurtz Jr phktrumpet at gmail.com
Tue May 5 20:45:27 PDT 2015

Bill, that was his first introduction. I mentioned that he’s done a lot with African music. I’m not a super expert on world music but it seems like he’s pulled a lot of groups from African indigenous music in to the United States and gotten them some notoriety. And since he never had another song as famous as the one you showed on the Youtube, maybe he’s done a lot with his one-hit wonder status. I’m sitting here and trying to remember the song he dueted with Herb Alpert on and it hasn’t come to me yet but will. There are probably better world music experts than me on this list; I took one college course in spring 2009. But, I am willing to admit that there are worlds of fame out there that I don’t know anything about. (people in soccer, for instance) So, I may have been extrapolating a wee bit, too. :-)

Paul Kurtz Jacksonville, FL