[Dixielandjazz] Can anybody name this tune?

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Sat May 2 18:29:25 PDT 2015

Friends,

I'm remastering a couple of LP reissues of recordings from the 1930s
& '40s by Alexander Tsfasman, a great Soviet
pianist-composer-bandleader.  He recorded mostly American pop and
jazz material, although lots of Soviet stuff as well, including his
own.  The recording that's got me puzzled is

         http://dickbaker.org/Tsfasman/Sad.mp3

The Russian title is "Mne grustno bez tebya," which translates as
"I'm Sad Without You" or "I'm Blue Without You," but that's not
necessarily helpful, as many of his recordings carried Russian titles
that had no relation to the English originals--e.g., "First Snow"
turns out to be "Beer Barrel Polka"; "Don't Forget Me" turns out to
be "Some of These Days."

Whatever this particular tune is, he recorded it in 1938 and odds are
that it was fairly new at the time.

Does anybody recognize it?

--
      Dick Baker