[Dixielandjazz] Another: Medical-musical anecdote-- too good not to pass along

Norman Vickers NVickers1 at cox.net
Fri Mar 27 07:17:20 PDT 2015

To: DJML and Musicians and Jazzfans list
From:  Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Here's another medical-musical anecdote from a friend who shall remain anonymous.

This from a jazz pianist----( slightly edited to preserve anonymity)

... I had a sceening colonoscopy a couple months ago (the Dr. said I looked like the inside of a new garden hose,...)  and had just awakened.  Dear wife was standing by the bed and the charge nurse said "You'll probably feel a little bloated so go ahead and pass that gas".  Never one to pass up an opportunity, I let one go that made the curtains wave.  My dear one, in her inimitable way, smiled and said "I love it when you play 'Let me call you sweetheart' for me."  Broke up the whole ward.
													---------

Your gentle, also genteel and gentile, moderator of the Musicians & Jazzfans list suggests that we've had enough of the colonoscopy/fart jokes and recommends that we close this thread.
Having been on both the giving and receiving end of the colonoscope, I refresh your memory with lyrics to " COLORECTAL SURGEON-- WORKIN' WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE"
Likely most recipients have heard this one more than they care to remember-- I do--.  In fact  a few years ago. Bob Ringwald's BOONDOCKERS graciously appeared for Pensacola JazzFest, performed and sang this song and dedicated it to me.  I, humbly, appreciated the accolade and most listeners enjoyed it.  A few curmudgeons thought it crude! (smile)

So, we end this thread with the lyrics, in case anyone wishes to refresh his/her memory.  (If you have compelling need to share additional personal anecdotes, send them to me privately and spare the others on these two lists!  Smile)

Hail the colorectal surgeon
we praise the colorectal surgeon
misunderstood and much maligned
slaving away in the heart of darkness
working where the sun don't shine
respect the colorectal surgeon
it's a calling you would crave
lift up your hands and join us
let's all do the finger wave
when it comes to spreading joy there are many techniques
some spread joy through the world and others just spread cheeks
some may think the cardiologist is their best friend
but the colorectal surgeon knows he'll get you in the end
why be a colorectal surgeon
it's one of those mysterious things
is it because in that profession
there are always openings
when i first met a colorectal surgeon
he did not quite understand
i said hi it's nice to meet you
but do you mind we don't shake hands
he sailed right through medical school because he was a wiz
oh but he never thought of psychology though he read passages
a doctor he wanted to be for golf he loved to play
but this is not quite what he meant by eighteen holes a day
we praise the colorectal surgeon
misunderstood and much maligned
slaving away in the heart of darkness
working where the sun don't shine