[Dixielandjazz] Ala. Jazz Hall of Fame

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 17 14:08:12 PDT 2015

There was certainly some interest among Alabamians in good music.  I went googling for an online review-article of mine on the Alabama blues and barrelhouse pianist & singer Robert McCoy and rather than the webpage where it was published I found the item on an Alabama state -- website and just as easy to pass on by way of mouse-clicks.

I certainly hadn't disguised my admiration for the local guy made wonderful records, but due neither to a big recording company (other than some pre-war accompaniments) nor any agency of state or national government.  Delmark reissued some of the music with some later examples.

Very different from Nat Cole, but within their respective genres both at the top!

Though nobody painted a funny yallery colour over McCoy's face on an album cover!

Robert R. Calder