[Dixielandjazz] Of puns and nicknames

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Jun 30 12:20:11 PDT 2015

The 'bone solo at about 3:00 in the "Jitterbugs" film is worthy of the fine swing era players. He played well, knowing he could hardly rest on his laurels.
And do any of you hep cats remember when slush pump" was a jivetalk nickname for a trombone? Today I looked up "slush pump" for the first time. Every 70 years, I learn something new--worst nickname ever. At least a clarinet looked a little like a huge licorice stick, from a distance, if you squinted your eyes.

Charlie