[Dixielandjazz] Hardy punster Frank Beach

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 29 20:39:19 PDT 2015

ROBERT R. CALDER wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCr-Bepww4A
> The note credits Frank Beach with the trumpet on this clip.
> The entire film seems also to be available
> one suspects that other instrumentalists were involved ...

Dear Robert,
There's no stopping you when you dive in.
Although a Laurel and Harvey fan, I do no recall ever seeing that film.
It is not mentioned in David Meeker's 1981 'Jazz In The Movies" nor Scott Yannow's 2004 'Jazz On Film".
The Internet Movie Data Base [IMDb] confirms the following:

•I Had the Craziest Dream
(1943) (uncredited)
Music by Harry Warren
Played by Stan and Ollie at the carnival. Frank Beach performed trumpet for Oliver Hardy.
Also played by the band at the River Boat

•That's A-Plenty
(1914) (uncredited)
Music by Lew Pollack
Played by Stan and Ollie at the carnival. Frank Beach performed trumpet for Oliver Hardy.

•(I've Got a Gal in) Kalamazoo
(1942) uncredited)
Music by Harry Warren
Played after Stan and Ollie leave the boiler room. Frank Beach performed trumpet for Oliver Hardy.

Thank you Robert, take a bow. Or just give us a wave.
More kind regards,
Bill.