[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz!

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 06:41:43 PDT 2015

Last night I took my eldest granddaughter to hear the Isradixie Band at the
Shablul club.
Unbelievably, the band started on time, not a mean achievement in Israel
(OK, 5 minutes late, but that's not too bad).
The band was in good spirits, and its playing reflected it.  A mix of
standards and less well known tunes (such as "To New Orleans with Love,"
written for the band by the pianist Nachum Perefrikovich as a tribute to
Katrina victims).  All the musicians soloed well, some solos being really
outstanding.  The exchange between Merton Cahm's tenor and Paul Moore's
kazoo was hilarious, well played, and swung like hell!  The latter has the
knack to always find new words for old tunes, and some of the things he
sang (or said, some of which would not pass the moderator) had the audience
roaring with laughter.  And all that - without impairing the high quality
of the music played.  Jacques Sany played Bechet's "Egyptian Fantasy" on
the soprano rather than the clarinet, and did a very good job.  For "Ton
Roof Blues" the band disintegrated: the front line moved to the back of the
room and played from there (unamplified), while the rhythm section remained
on stage.
OK, the beer selection on offer is not very varied (and they were out of
the REAL - i.e. Czehh - Budweiser), and they bring food from nearby places,
but we went there for the music, didn't we?  To sum up - a wonderful
evening of music and entertainment; pity no one from our jazz bunch showed
up.
Cheers