[Dixielandjazz] Discographical information

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jun 28 15:55:04 PDT 2015

> 2. Ray Bauduc-Nappy Lamare - Two-Beat Generation (Capitol T1198).
> The personnel listing reads "Frank Beech, Joe Graves, Mannie Klein alternating on trumpet."
> Beech, Graves and Bolen are new names to me. No dates are given.

Dear Marek,
My files only provide a Los Angeles 1958 recording date.
So, Gerard Bielderman's Capitol information is as accurate as we can get, without access to the Capitol files.
I have the session on a Jasmine CD (JASCD 505).
Joe Graves cut his musical teeth in the US Army 391 ASF Band in Hattiesburg, Mississippi and with the Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra from January 1946-1949 . He recorded and appeared in a film short with Charlie Barnet, was and Ray McKinley in December 1947 and is the sole trumpet player on Nappy Lamare's Strawhat Seven Capitol session 24 April 1950 (I have this). He recorded with Glen Gray, Jonah Jones, Van Alexander in the early 1960s and with his own Great New Swingers for Capitol (T1977) and Billy May in the late 60s-early 70s.
His son has put the following with the Billy May band on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpBt-DWNkew
There are some photos and information here:
   http://www.jazzwax.com/2015/04/rare-photos-joe-graves-1947.html

Unfortunately, I can't help with Frank Beech.
Kind regards,
Bill.