[Dixielandjazz] PhysOrg: what musical taste tells us about social class

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Jun 16 20:32:42 PDT 2015

Okay, I'll play the game. My LP/CD collection is mostly classical and jazz in all styles, ending with avant garde, fusion, and the like. I dig some blues and country, mostly when they're close to their folk roots and not electrified.  Some world music, too, esp. African percussion. Much of the music of the late 60s/early 70s was inventive and distinctive. Opera, not my thing, except for occasional brilliant arias performances--a flaw, I know, but you can't cover it all. Dislike?--rap, easy listening, most pop/rock. If a band is jumping around on the bandstand, chances are good that nothing is happening musically. That said, I usually keep and open ear and remain ready to be pleasantly surprised.

Education and class--I'm over-eduacted academically; economically, made it to a notch above middle-middle class after retiring.

Charlie