[Dixielandjazz] Bechet-Spanier Big Four

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jun 13 17:37:26 PDT 2015

Marek Boym asked:
> I have an LP of this formidable congregation - eight tracks on the Italian
> Joker LP SM 3090.
> I have just read that there are alternative takes.  does anybody know which takes are on the said LP?

Dear Marek,
It's never the simple queries from you dear friend.
<big grin>
The 8 titles recorded at the two 1940 HRS Bechet-Spanier Big Four sessions are on your Joker LP.
   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sidney-Bechet-History-Of-Jazz-LP-NM-Italy-Joker-SM-3090-/201244602801
The tunes with alternative takes are "China Boy" and "That's A Plenty".

R2773	Four Or Five Times
R2774	Sweet Lorraine	Hot
R2775	Up A Lazy River
R2776-1	China Boy
R2776-2	China Boy (alt. take)

R2801-1	If I Could Be With You One Hour Tonight
R2802-2	That's A Plenty (alt. take)
R2802-3	That's A Plenty
R2803-3	Squeeze Me
R2804-2	Sweet Sue, Just You

The Joker reissue (taken from the Riverside LP RLP 138) has "China Boy" (R2776-1) and "That's A Plenty" (R2802-3).
Which were used for the original HRS 78s
The alternative takes were issued in an unnumbered HRS 'dividend' 78.
Swaggie LP S1932 reissued all 10 takes.
The 10 takes are also on Mosaic CD MD6-187 (The Complete H.R.S Sessions), Masters of Jazz CDMJCD 100 and King Jazz CD KL122FS.
The alternatives are NOT on French Classics 619.
Very kind regards,
Bill.