[Dixielandjazz] Dr. Michael White in Israel - support live jazz!

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 15:51:08 PDT 2015

Last Thursday (June 4) Dr. Michael White appeared in Rosh Ha'Ayin, a twin
city of New Orleans, as part of a joint jazz festival.  Several of my
friends and yours truly were there, of course, and it was a very good bet.
It all took place outdoors, on the green, where the municipality put up a
stage and other facilities.  Sitting was on the grass - a good thing we
brought blankets!
The show started almost on the minute, something rare with Israel, with a
gospel choir from a local school.  At first the soloist's mike was too high
and one could hardly hear the supporting singers, but that was rectified.
Not too bad for high school kids.  A black American singer, Ms. Hillary
Sergeant, sang a few numbers with them.  They also had a small band which
supported the choir quite well.
The REAL THING  started after a short break, again - right on time.  Dr.
White appeared with Eli (Preminger, trumpet) and the Chocolate Factory,
comprised of, in addition to Eli, Amnon Ben-Artzi (trombone), Tal Kuhn
(bass) and Ilan Smilan (banjo); Miles Labat from New Orleans was on drums.
The programme consisted mainly of traditional standards, but they were
played with gusto and enthusiasm; the group also played Michael White's
"Give It Up" (subtitled "A Gypsy Second Line").  White excelled, perhaps to
prove that the description "The greatest clarinet player" was not too
exaggerated.  His "Summertime," played with klezmer overtones, gained him
tumultuous ovation (and by the time I got to the CD stall, all copies of
the CD containing it were gone).  And, of course, there was the inevitable
"Burgundy St. Blues."  He must have played it a thousand times, but still,
inexplicably, imbues it with great passion and feeling; a really moving
tribute to George Lewis!  Unfortunately, the band's set was only 60 minutes
- another group was about to take the stage, so, despite the standing
ovation, the band was not even allowed an encore (festival organizers will
appreciate it).
The next day we (that includes even more friends) went to hear Dr. White
and the Chocolate Factory at the Tel-Aviv bar (and often a jazz venue)
Hoodna.  As expected, that was a different story.  For one thing, the
excelelnt soprano saxophonist Jacues Sany was added to the lineup (Jaques'
presence is usually enough to lure me).  Dan Cohen (guitar) replaced Ilan
Smilan, and Rany Birnbaum was on drums.  Jacues and Dr, White are old
friends, and played together when Jacques visited New Orleans some years
ago. The performance was outstanding, better than the night before, hot,
swinging, good solos abounding.  After a few numbers, another octogenarian,
Merton Cahm, sat in on alto sax.  Both Jacques and Merton are members of
the Isradixie Band (whom I am planning to hear on the 28th), and used to
playing together.  The three reeds gave the group a really big sound.  The
three reed players are real pros, and also full of inspiration.  At some
stage Miles Labat replaced Ranny Birnbaum for a few numbers, to be replaced
by another drummer, an original member of the New Orleans Function (and a
member of listmate Larry Brand's Dr. Jazz) sat in on drums.  The set was
longer, too, andthe public, albeit smaller than the night before (the green
in Rosh Ha'Ayin is big, Hoodna is small), was very enthusiastic.  About
half of it, if not more, consisted of kids from a Rosh Ha'Ayin school.  But
all good things come to an end, and so did that set - some of the kids and
their teachers had to go back.  unfortunately, so did Dr. White and Miles
Labat, as both had to be at the Sabbath reception ceremony.  And I didn't
even have the chance to tell him how excited Amnon go at his concert in
Eilat some years back, and shouted "This is THE real thing!"  Merton
departed, too, to attend a friend's birthday.
After a short brake, the show resumed, without Michael White.  The veteran
tenor sax player Jess Koren sat in for the first few numbers.  Jess,
usually a bit too modern for may taste, sounded just right with the group
and played fine, hot, swinging solos.  He departed after two or three
numbers, but the band went on, and the playing ws still great!  For the
last few numbers, the front line became a two-trombone one, when  the
youthful Razi Cohen sat in (it was not the first time he sat in with the
band, and his playing has always been good).  A very enjoyable afternoon,
with everybody in top form.  Nothing unexpected, but it seemed to be even
better than usual.  Everybody seemed to be inspired by the presence of the
New Orleans clarinetist, and the inspiration did not wane after he had left.
Unlike the Rosh Ha'Ayin affair, where one could only get Tuborg or Carlsberg
in plastic cups (I usually drink neither), at Hoodna there was a good
selection of beer.  We had Malka (an Israeli craft brewery) amber ale and
Franziskaner wheat beer.
I loved the music (and the beer) and was very sorry when it was over; in
any event, we heard over two hours of excellent music!  And kudos to Eli
for the organization!
Cheers,
Marek