[Dixielandjazz] June 3rd 1967 when Billie Joe McAllister jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge

domitype . domitype at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 15:49:28 PDT 2015

The bridge mentioned in this song collapsed in June 1972. It crossed the
Tallahatchie River at Money, about ten miles (16 km) north of Greenwood,
Mississippi, and has since been replaced. The November 10, 1967 issue of
Life Magazine contained a photo of Gentry crossing the original bridge.

I was listening to Pop Radio a lot when that song came out - I guess my
Southern dirt farmer family tree roots jumped out, because I liked it a
lot. Not the usual kind of song I went for back then.

Dave Richoux