[Dixielandjazz] Chamber Music Society of Lower Basin Street (was Name This Band & Vocalist, Please)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jul 23 02:36:49 PDT 2015

Charles Suhor wrote:

>  A footnote--the internet I.D.'d Levine as the leader of a group called the Chamber Music Society of Lower Basin Street, which had an NBC radio show. I used to hear the program and found the group bland. I had a 78 rpm of the group backing up a Lena Horne on "Aunt Hagar's Blues." It was a pretty wooden performance all around, less swinging than the nice "When My Sugar" Soundie. I don't know the rest of the players but suspect they were heard to better advantage elsewhere.

Dear Charlie,
The Henry Levine Chamber Music Society of Lower Basin Street was a studio group and had basically the same personnel as the Linda Keene sessions.
Others who played with the band included Jack Epstein (trombone), Harry Stitman (drums), Bob Burns (clarinet), Gene Traxler (bass), Sam Weiss (drums) and Murray Cohen (tenor).
It was the guests who were the attraction: Sidney, Bechet, Dinah Shore, Linda Keene, Paul Laval,Benny Carter and WC Handy.
Our young mob  in the 40s never considered the music jazz, notwithstanding its 'Dixieland' tag.
Not when Eddie  Condon, Muggsy Spanier Wild Bill Davison et were playing the real stuff at the same time.
Henry Levine knew what jazz was about, but the program producers obviously had didn't.
OK, the bland non-swinging Chamber Music Society records are in my collection, but that does not mean that I like them.
Kind regards,
Bill.