[Dixielandjazz] Blues Alley celebrates 50 years

Norman Vickers NVickers1 at cox.net
Sat Jul 18 14:32:52 PDT 2015

To:  DJML and Musicians & Jazzfans list

From:  Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

This item crossed my screen today. See link below.   I have some doubts
about the statement"  Oldest continuously operated jazz supper club".
Perhaps you jazz historians on these lists can confirm or deny this claim.

Thanks.

Norman

GEORGETOWN, D.C. (WJLA) - Blues Alley, Georgetown's renowned jazz club, is
celebrating its fiftieth anniversary over the next week, with a special
concert at Strathmore's Music Center as well as a featured artist at the
club.

The current owner, Harry Schnipper, says it's the oldest continuously
operated jazz supper club in the nation. Countless music legends such as
Dizzy Gillespie, Sarah Vaughan, and Sonny Rollins have played here. Others,
like Wynton Marsalis, have recorded live at the club.

Schnipper started visiting as a teenager, and welcomes music lovers of all
ages now.

"We don't put a prohibition on age here," he says. "So, we will allow anyone
to come through our doors. That's how I got here. That's how I think the
future of jazz is going to stay here."

The music at Blues Alley, he says, is evolving with its audience.

"Let's face it, spoken word, hip hop, there are so many different aspects of
jazz. Jazz is an enormous umbrella. It incorporates so many different
styles, but you have to stay one step ahead of your audience."

Some staff members have been at Blues Alley for decades.

"I'm so glad I don't have to drag myself to work every day, " says
operations manager Kris Ross. "I love comin' in here."

Ross thinks the intimacy of the venue keeps patrons from all over the world
coming back.

"People would call, spend $200 on tickets, and then say, 'by the way, who's
playin'?' It didn't matter, they were comin' to see the room."

Blues Alley's walls are covered with photos of past performers.

Read more:
<http://www.wjla.com/articles/2015/07/georgetown-s-blues-alley-jazz-club-cel
ebrates-its-50th-anniversary--115660.html#ixzz3gHSt6QdT>
Follow us: @ABC7News on Twitter
<http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=dBK3WwkFar4OjKacwqm_6l&u=ABC7News>  | WJLATV on
Facebook <http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=dBK3WwkFar4OjKacwqm_6l&u=WJLATV>