[Dixielandjazz] Rhineheart

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 17 22:21:19 PDT 2015

Or however the name is spelled.
My experience of ancient and crackling blues records sharpened my listening, and some years of classical vocal training taught me a few more relevant things.

What Jimmy Rushing sings on the ancient item is pretty well "I'n her ...." etcetera (rather than "I'm her..."

There is no grammatical place for anything else and one problem is that Jimmy had something of a nasal projection of the voice.  Try saying "mime" or "I'm" with your mouth open, and you might get the same effect ---  instead of the humming sort of sound being resolved into an "m" it turns into an "n" because there has to be some consonant there before "her" --- refer to examples from French and Portuguese for n and m sound relationships.  "Her" as normally spoken also involves a not very resonant or singable vowel -- a slightly stifled "aah"
Hay bee aah hoe who  (if one of those vowels is entirely absent from an attempt to sing a vowel, the sound will not carry, the vowel will remain unsung)

 "I'm" is a diphthong, in order to be heard singing Jimmy (and anybody else trying to project that vowel!) has to sing Aaah-eeeh (I, eye) and Jimmy is swung as much as rushed into the opening of the vowel ---

 Go Aaaaaaaaaaaaah.....  and you get an "r"-like sound -- some asses tell you that the way to pronounce the name Janacek, which has an accent above the second a (as well as the one which turns c to ch as in chop) not JanAHcheck but JanARcheck -- too many sloppy Englishfolk call drawing droaring without any of the justifying swing of Jim.
Engrish Lubbish, as a man in Duesseldorf might say.

It's perfectly straightforward to understand how Jimmy's "I'm" could get so distorted in the course of standard vocal production as to sound like Rine. He slurred words comprised by some of the most awkward vowels to sing. Quite an achievement the speech-like naturalness he achieved.

If you find the above ingenious but incredible you know nothing of the basics of singing technique in the English language, and if you don't enact any of that in efforts to sing, few and progressively even fewer people will hear you as a result of your pointlessly straining your throat!

Reinherzlich,Robert R. Calder