[Dixielandjazz] Note from drummer Hal Smith

Norman Vickers NVickers1 at cox.net
Wed Jul 15 18:24:00 PDT 2015

To: DJML & Musicians and Jazzfans list

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Drummer Hal Smith is a longtime friend.  He spent about a decade in New
Orleans and performed with various groups including clarinetist Tim
Laughlin. ( see his note below)  Then he went  back to San Diego/La Jolla
and was on staff with America's Finest Dixieland Jazz Society  ( AFDJS)in
San Diego.  Maybe that  was also about a decade in duration.  Then there was
a stint with Jim Cullum Jazz Band in San Antonio, TX.  Since he's been
somewhat silent in   communication, I dropped him a note and asked him to
give us an update on his activities.  So, here's his update.  See his
website for gigs and schedule.  Hal has been longtime friend of the Jazz
Society of Pensacola appearing at our Jazz parties 89-91 and a couple of
Pensacola Jazzfests in the early 2000s.  I always enjoyed his jazz
historical articles when he was writing for the newsletter of San Diego's
AFDJS

Dear Norman:

Thanks very much for writing!

I haven't been too active on the festival circuit for several months, though
I have been working in and around Austin, and in New Orleans.

At the end of July I will be at the Bix Beiderbecke Memorial Jazz Festival
with the Thrift Set Orchestra (Austin).  In August I have engagements in New
Orleans with Tim Laughlin and also pianist Kris Tokarski.  In addition, I
will be playing with two more Austin-based bands: Dan Walton and the Jump
Swing Imperials and the Jason Roberts Band.  The latter is a Western Swing
group, led by the former fiddle player with Asleep at the Wheel.

If anyone wants to check out my calendar, there is a SCHEDULE page on my
website: www.halsmithmusic.com. <http://www.halsmithmusic.com>   I also
update my status monthly on the NEWS page.

My home base is Searcy, Arkansas.  I can drive to a lot of gigs, which I am
glad to do.  When I arrive, I have a car for transportation and I have my
own drums!

--End--