[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Disasters

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat Jul 4 14:28:47 PDT 2015

In approximately 1981, shortly after moving to Los Angeles, I was producing and hosting a 3-hour weekly Jazz radio show on non-commercial radio station KCSN titled “Bob Ringwald’s Bourbon Street Parade.”

I produced a fund raising Jazz concert for the station. My band, The Great Pacific Jazz Band, along with my daughter Molly Ringwald opened the concert. We had Zeke Zarchy trumpet, Don Nelson Soprano sax, Roy Brewer trombone, Jack Wadsworth bass sax, Ray Templin drums and myself on banjo. Ray and I also both did short segments on solo piano.

For the second half of the concert I brought the clarinetist Johnny Mince out from New York and added Ray Sherman piano, Ray Leatherwood bass and Nick Fatool drums.

The concert was held at Cal State Northridge. Being part of the California State College system, there was not supposed to be any booze on the premises. My Uncle, who was a Prop Man for movies and TV, smuggled in an ample supply of liquor, ice, mixes and glasses for the musicians back stage.

Since Johnny and the all-stars didn’t come on until the second set, they had plenty of time to sample the wares. I suspect Nick sampled the most.

At the end of the concert, during the finale, when Nick’s name was announced, while playing drums, he stood up. He lost his balance and seemingly in slow motion, fell backwards and disappeared through the curtain, never to be seen again. The crowd laughed, thinking it was a gag, part of the show.

-Bob Ringwald Solo, Duo, Trio, Quartet
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/ 806-9551
www.ringwald.com
Amateur (ham) Radio K6YBV

I got caught taking a pee in the swimming pool today. The lifeguard shouted at me so loud, I nearly fell in.