[Dixielandjazz] No mail messages

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 15:07:39 PST 2015

How much correspondence can one complaint of "quiet" generate!
I've just listened to Balaban and Cats recorded at the New Eddie Condon's
in 1975, with Ed Polcer, Vic Dickenson, Herb Hall, Jim Andrews, Balaban and
Ronnie Cole..  What a band and what a record!
And it stirred memories: I was there in 1980, long before I became a beer
freak!
The line-up was similar, with Jack Maheu in place of Hall.  Did I love his
clarinet playing!  A gorgeous blonde sat next to me at the bar, and we
started talking.  She turned out to be Jack Maheu's wife.  She was
complaining about the commutin (from Buffalo), the low pay.  "So why
doesn't he quit?", I asked.  She looked at me as if I were off my rocker
and replied in wonderment: "And give up playing with THEM!?"
Jack Maheu has bee a great favourite of mine ever since.
Until redently, by the way, I was sure the drummer was Connie Kay - I
apparently didn't get the name, announced with ah American accent to which
I wasnot accustomed.
Cheers (the record went extremely well with Leffe Blonde)