[Dixielandjazz] Husk O'Hare topic

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 29 18:57:25 PST 2015

A very long time ago after Riverside reissues had a short and improved life from Phillips in Holland, UK etc., an Italian label -- I think Joker -- began to put out LPs dubbed from Riverside. One reviewer regretted the presenced of a particular track on the Johnny Dodds issue, since without it there would have been NO Johnny Dodds at all -- all Jimmy O'Bryant.(Italian copyright law allowed some leeway with dubs, et cetera)<

Of course there have been reissues with odd items added just because there was a gap and there was no obvious way of bringing these out.  That would seem likely with the Riverside 88 series, since these were exemplary productions with extensive notes and full details organised by Dr. Rookmaaker (whose name I have probably got wrong).  The dubs lacked paperwork.

I certainly wouldn't have been bothered to have three titles from a different source rather than just thirteen without the fillers.

As I also recall, the sources of recordings as transferred to the original Riverside 88 series were sometimes open reel tapes (the cassette was just coming on the market when the series appeared) and some posted from an owner who acquired the tape through  informal swapping arrangements.  I am sure I could dig out quite a few titles recorded within an hour of each other with everything else constant, but some drastic differences in sound quality.

Audible good wishes,
Robert Calder