[Dixielandjazz] Jabbo Smith and related cases

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 13:50:16 PST 2015

> Who knows who Roy Eldridge might have heard

To the best of my knowledge, Eldridge himself said he was more influenced
by saxophone players.

> with Freddie Hubbard during the lay-off when that astonishing virtuoso

A friend of mine went to the North Sea Jazz FEstival  years ago, and while
there went to hear "SAtchmo Legacy," a band led by Hubbatd.  Upon her
return she told ne how awful it was.  I asked "wht did you expect from
Freddie Hubbard," and she retorted "how was I supposed to know?"  A true
story, which I have already mentioned on the list.  He might have been a
virtuoso, but had he any connection to jazz?  My ears say "no," and I
follow them.
Cheers

> He also regretted deeply that when himself supposedly performing some sort
> of Louis Armstrong tribute, he'd just "be-bopped"  without any effort to
> understand the music.

That must have been the Satchmo Legacy.

Cheers (I've just had Jem's 8.8)